I want to begin by thanking my patient, Miguel Gallegos, for his willingness to talk about his experience with a penile implant. It is very encouraging for men with ED (erectile dysfunction) to hear about the positive results of different treatments. It helps them identify what they are feeling if they are having erectile problems. Just as important, it offers hope that there are solutions tailored for their needs.
In the case of Mr. Gallegos, the common prescription pills such as Viagra®, Cialis® and Levitra® were not appropriate for him. He had a cardiac (heart) problem that excluded him from taking this class of medication. As you can learn in other sections on my website, heart and circulation conditions are the most common cause of erectile dysfunction. In Mr. Gallegos’ situation, it was his cardiac condition that also made it impossible for him to take pills to assist with erections.
Erectile dysfunction is the inability to develop and maintain an erection for satisfactory intercourse. In turn, this can lead to emotional challenges for both the man and his partner. Among these is the man’s loss of confidence in himself and his ability to please his partner. When this occurs, it creates stress for each person, and obstacles to the loving relationship. Such problems were beginning for Mr. Gallegos.
After trying various ways to overcome ED that he and his wife did not find ideal, he began to consider a penile implant. This means surgically inserting a permanent device into the penis that can create an erection without depending on natural blood flow. Although it is not a “natural” erecton, the man will still have full sensation of pleasure and the ability to achieve climax. There are different types of implants, but the patient and his partner have to ask themselves, “Is it right for us?” As with any elective surgery, the motivation to go ahead should be based on correct information and knowledge of what’s involved.
As I do with every patient, I took time and care to explain everything to Mr. Gallegos: the different device models, how each works, how I do the surgery, what are the risks, how to maximize healing during the recovery period, and what to expect long term. Mr. Gallegos took the time he needed to think about receiving an implant, and he chose it because he felt it was his best option for the kind of relationship he and his wife wanted.
It has been over four years since I performed Mr. Gallegos’ surgery. He honestly admits that his life has improved significantly because of his decision. He describes how it reduced his stress, and increased his self-confidence. It gave a lift to his level of desire, because he had no doubt that he can please his wife as well as himself. You can listen to his interview on my website www.alarconurology.com
Again, my heartfelt gratitude to Mr. Gallegos, and to all patients who generously tell their stories as a way to support others.
For more information, visit our Erectile Dysfunction Guide
Erectile Dysfunction – Further Reading
- Questions & Answers about Erectile Dysfunction
- Medications & Devices in ED Treatments
- Treating Erectile Dysfunction with Penile Implant (Penile Prosthesis)
- Causes and Treatment for Male Impotence
- Coloplast Titan Penile Implant Surgery
- A Four-Minute Video Can Save Your (Sex) Life
- Erectile Dysfunction Overview
- Profile: A Man Who Chose A Penile Implant
- Overcoming Erectile Dysfunction Surgically
- Exercise and Men Sexual Health
Related ED Articles from Our Blog
- ED Treatment Options: Injection Therapy and MUSE - When most men think about treatment options for the ED, they think about the well-known “little blue pill.” But did you know that for about ...
- Does What I Eat Affect My Erectile Dysfunction (ED)? - Erectile dysfunction (ED) can be caused by a variety of health conditions, but cardiovascular disease and diabetes are a couple of common culprits. Since both ...
- Can Medication Cure Erectile Dysfunction? - We’ve all seen the awkward commercials - an older couple trying to share an intimate moment in separate bathtubs or a couple suddenly getting ...