Back in my father’s and grandfather’s time, the problem of erectile dysfunction was very hush-hush. It was a different world then, not like today where ads for prescriptions and natural supplements that promise quick erections are so common most people start to tune them out. If you commute to work and listen to the news and weather, you are almost certain to hear a radio ad having to do with “performance in the bedroom.” My grandfather would have been shocked! Yet even with all this public advertising, ED is still a very private matter.
The problem with ads that promise an easy solution is this: if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. First of all, because ED is a sensitive subject, many men and their partners have a hard time talking about it and live with it while suffering in silence. They want to grasp at the hope offered by ads, without getting correct information about what may be causing or contributing to ED. Do the pills work? Yes, of course-for the right conditions.
Another problem is what happens if the pills don’t work-and for many men, they don’t. Why? Because ED can be caused by a variety of issues, including cardiovascular problems (the most common), neurological conditions, substance use or abuse, psychological and emotional issues, relationship problems, and unhealthy lifestyles. Prescriptions won’t do it for many of these conditions.
More importantly, ED is often an “early warning sign” of a deeper problem, such as cardiovascular disease. Ignoring ED, or wishing it would go away, won’t help an underlying medical condition. Neither will taking a pill if it’s not the right pill. Knowing that ED is treatable, and that diagnosing what’s causing it could save your life, should be reason enough to see a urologist who specializes in ED treatment.
In my practice, our mission is to give hope to men who experience erectile dysfunction, and to their partners. Once we diagnose the cause of an individual’s ED, we provide a full range of treatments. If the first one or two interventions are not effective, we have a progression that we follow, alone or in combination, until we find what works.
Our range of treatments includes the following general categories:
- Prescription oral medication
- Vacuum erection device
- Local treatment (injection or urethral suppository)
- Hormone treatment
- Nutritional/lifestyle support and counseling
- Referral for emotional, psychological or relationship issues
We know that each person is unique, and we recognize that our ED patients are placing a great deal of trust in us. The best way to honor that trust is to take your problem as seriously as you do, so we are on the same team. Whatever it takes, we are here for you.
So don’t just listen to ads and be alone with a problem like ED. We can help you get to the bottom of the problem, and we can help you rise above it.
For more information, visit our Erectile Dysfunction Guide
Erectile Dysfunction – Further Reading
- Questions & Answers about Erectile Dysfunction
- Medications & Devices in ED Treatments
- Treating Erectile Dysfunction with Penile Implant (Penile Prosthesis)
- Causes and Treatment for Male Impotence
- Coloplast Titan Penile Implant Surgery
- A Four-Minute Video Can Save Your (Sex) Life
- Erectile Dysfunction Overview
- Profile: A Man Who Chose A Penile Implant
- Overcoming Erectile Dysfunction Surgically
- Exercise and Men Sexual Health
Related ED Articles from Our Blog
- What is Porn-Induced Erectile Dysfunction & Can it Really Cause ED? - You may have heard the rumor that watching too much porn can cause erectile dysfunction. This rumor was started when a study published in 2011 ...
- Fighting ED with Zen:
How Yoga Can Help Fight Erectile Dysfunction & Improve Male Sexual Performance - Having trouble in the bedroom? Stress can add to your trouble in the bedroom, creating a vicious cycle. While stress is psychological, it plays an ...
- Frequently Asked Questions About Penile Implants - Although penile implants have been around since the early 1970s, they’re not talked about very often by men. Before Viagra came on the market, penile ...